SMD refers to the term “Surface Mounted Device” LEDs, which are the utmost shared LEDs in the market. The LED chip is eternally fused to a printed circuit board (PCB), and it is especially popular because of its versatility. The PCB is built on a rectangular-shaped, flat object, which is what we usually see as SMD.
There are multiple sizes of SMD LED chips: 2835, 3535, 3030, 3014, 5050, 5630; they are termed according to their dimensions: length and width. For instance, the size of the 3535 is 3.5 x 3.5mm, 3030 is 3.0 x 3.0mm, 5050 is 5.0 x 5.0mm
1. SMDs are more efficient than COBs because the light source produces higher lumens per watt, which means that they produce more light with a lower wattage.
2. They produce a wider beam of light which is spread over a greater area. This means that less material is needed for the heat sink, which in turn means that they are more economical.
3. SMD lamps produce a wide spread of light which is suitable for area lighting.
4. Since there are many chips on one PCB, as time went by, if one of the chip is broken, the other LED chips will still working by designing a special circuit.
5. High reliability, strong vibration resistance and low defect rate in solder joint point.
6. Because SMD LED are with relative small size and less weight, it’s easy to achieve automation, which improve production efficiency. Then materials, energy, equipment, manpower, time, will also be saved.
7. With small size SMD LEDs, it makes SMD LEDs more flexible in lamp design. And with less weight and good heat dissipation(less heatsink), the lamps are with lower weight which is competitive in some tender and also good for safe.